Thursday, April 8, 2010

How to grow a garden:

Strawberries and Sugar Snap Peas


So, I live by the beach and I am in my twenties. I am not rich, don't come from old money and I am not a Lawyer or Actress. So, obviously right now I am not living in my own house - I live in a cute apartment by the beach. It's two bedrooms, one bathroom (although I keep wishing it will multiply into a second one... LOL) and I love it! My apartment was lived in by the boyfriend for a couple years before I moved in. We've been together for over four years and we aren't in any hurry to get married. I am sick, on disability, and we want a kick ass party of course so we are waiting until 2012 to get married. Anywho... where was I?

Oh  yeah, So - I have an apartment but I want a garden. I have no green thumb tho. Even with all my ailments my thumb is seriously pale. Like Twilight vampire pale. In fact, my thumb is not good. I kill flowers but I can save weeds (and snails); however, I still wanted to contribute to my apartment "garden" of tomatoes and such.



See, I have the coolest and best neighbors ever. We hang out. Sometimes we have "frenchies" and now we have the "russians" right next door. In fact, one of the "russians" said that my plants WILL grow. And he KNEW they were strawberries. It must be a russian thing. :P

So, here are some pictures of me "growing" ie, planting my garden. In pots. Plastic cute pots. From Target. And the soil was $1.99. And I had to climb on top of a step ladder and unwrap the plastic from the cheap-o soil and TRY so hard not to destroy the bag of soil as it fell to the ground from my grasp. Geeze. No service at Target I guess.

P.S There are NO lady bugs in soil.... those are pellets. You should know. In case... you know that you want the cheap-o soil that the Target dude was sure NOT going to be just $1.99. And the pharmacist gave me the broken watering (plastic) can for a dollar and yeah.



Here are the photos.
Let me know what you think!

:)

This is my face before pursuing my gardening adventure. Mind you no sleep that night. 





What you need: 

Cute plastic pot, soil and Strawberry plant.




Boy sized potting gloves, spoon, and scissor.





Step 1 



Step 2





Step 3

Yes, messiness is a step....
Basically, you have to fill up the pot with soil half way and THEN dump the little original pot upside down and then turn it right side up; and then pack in the soil 'til it reaches the tippy top of the plant.
And yes - those instruction are from this little old lady fellow gardener at Target. :)



Step 4
Look at ALL my cute little dirt hand prints hehe!




Tada!!!





And then, this was me afterwards. Thanks body, you really rock! 
Let's see.... I potted THREE tiny plants and that drains me? Thanks... really. 
                                            






P.s Has ANYONE actually used these "watering bulbs?" Not, that I am THAT lazy (not working.... so, lots of time)  but..... they do look interesting. 

Aqua Globes AG011706 Glass Plant Watering Bulbs - 2 Pack


0 comments: